Sunday, July 19, 2015

the inner makings of a pair of shorts

My 12 year old daughter approached me and had asked me to make her a pair of shorts for this coming school year, I decided since she is at an odd size that I would attempt to draft the pattern using her measurements, armed with her measurements I sat down and drafted a pattern, used muslin to make it and it was way too big, so I went back to the graph paper and did it again slower and double checking each line and mark and again used muslin to make the draft pair of shorts and this pair fit her perfectly.
once I had a pattern that I knew worked for her we set out to design the shorts and picked a fabric for them
the last drawing in the pic is what we went with as far as design

work progressing great, pocket detail finished

successfully installed a covered zipper fly

well I completely messed up this last pair by trimming the zipper from the top and forgetting to put a stop point on them so ,somewhere the zipper pull fell off and in the process of trying to undo all the zigzagging the fabric just kept snagging and unraveling, so I had to start over and piece the fabric to make enough for the shorts so you will notice that they have a center front seam on them now
and as I didn't have enough fabric to do a regular waistband I decided to try a bias tape finish and it worked



No comments:

Post a Comment